Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Top Down, Windows Up, Heat On

Yeah, that's the way we roll... on the way home from the BARKS sale. Ok, not all the time, but this time we did and I've definitely done it in the past. It was below 50 out, windy, dreary, chilly... but we found a desk for my brother and needed a way to get it home, so down the top went on my convertible. I don't know if he realizes it, but my brother probably made out the best this weekend, and he didn't even go to the sale! Actually, I'm almost positive he doesn't realize it. He has yet to realize that just because something was at a yard/garage/whatever sale that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it.Come on, you can't say that's not a nice desk! ($20!) He wasted no time getting it into his room and putting all his crap on it.

Anyway, I also scored pretty big this weekend at the BARKS sale.

Ok so first of all here's what I didn't get, that was on my list, but am not too worried about finding:
-wood for signs (I'll probably find that lying around somewhere anyway)
-bread baskets (only if I found a bunch of small ones that looked nice... didn't)
-shoe stretcher (didn't really think I'd find one, but put it on the list just in case)

And this is what was on my list that I did get!:
-more 8x10 frames (for table names)
-baskets (for various uses)
-furniture specifically for wedding use
-light switch (um because mine broke)
-green glass (Because you can never have enough green glass when you're using it to decorate your wedding! Oh did i mention that?? Another post, another day...)

Everything on my list was for the wedding (except the light switch), but the furniture I felt I needed to specify that I wasn't looking for a desk (um, which we found anyway). Having to rent every tiny little thing for a backyard wedding... well, sucks. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have it any other way, but trust me when I say you really have to think of every.little.thing. a person is going to need at your wedding since it's not like you can find it once they're all there! Do you know how many tables you need at a wedding? Not counting the ones you're sitting at, there's also the buffet tables, drink table, placecard table, guestbook table, card/gift tables, program table, cake table... I'm sure I'm missing one or two, but you get the idea. Anyway, I've seen (and I'm sure a lot of you have as well) people using a lot of antique furniture at their weddings lately (via bridal blogs and wedding sites of course). Like an antique dresser with a memorial to those who've passed away (there's one I forgot to mention), and some people even have some sort of furniture as their "altar" or backdrop for where they stand when they say their vows. I SUPER HEART this. I don't know if you know this about me, but I am all about the retro and antique stuff. My room is full of it! So one of my goals of going to BARKS this weekend was to be on the lookout for pieces that could be used as not only decoration at the wedding but would also be functional. I present to you, my proudest find of the weekend (and literally we found it within 30 seconds of walking in), the vanity set:
for only...
I am in LOOOOOVE with my vanity! I can't wait to paint it! It's going to be tarnished gold with black covering the cheesy green "marble". And I already know its purpose - where people can sit and sign the guestbook (whatever I end up using for a guestbook)! AND I already know where I'm going to put it in my house, too! I can't believe it was only $3!

Alright, looks like I'm getting a bit long winded (read: excited) about my finds (and hey, I haven't blogged much this week!), so I'll just show you some pics of the rest of the stuff.

Table to be painted black and utilized at wedding
baskets for programs, coasters, etc. (yes, the bottom one is green!)
As I said above, I have no idea what I'm doing for a guest book yet, but this is new and in the package (the writing is just a sample, there's a blank one underneath), so how could I pass it up??

I also got... a big corkboard that I could cover or cut (I'll find something to do with it), yellow curtains for my kitchen (when FH and I move in together that is), pretty lace to lay over one of the 800 tables I mentioned before, some pretty green pillow shams, a new Brita (literally the one I was going to register for), and various other small things. By the way - not counting the desk, I think my mom and I spent $15 TOTAL. Yeah, as in all together.

I'd say it was a success, wouldn't you?

-C
xxx

2 comments:

  1. I really love the idea of green glass in all shapes and colors. Sounds so summery for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great finds! can't wait to see the final products!

    ReplyDelete