Thursday, May 6, 2010

Don't Bug Me

I scored big at dollar tree yet again last weekend. They have tiki torches for $1! I also got some tin-like platters (not plastic is what I'm trying to say). Hmm what else have I gotten at dollar tree so far for my wedding... well, shepherd's hooks were a big find. I think that's a pretty big score considering if you buy them from home and garden shops they're like $10. Sure, those are more sturdy, but do I need these to last forever? Do I need them to hold super heavy plants? Nope and nope. They're for holding ribbon and signs. Easy peasy cheapy. And they'll go in my garden (or MOB's) when they're done.

But back to the tiki torches, to touch on another backyard bride issue - BUGS. Yup, only glamorous parts of wedding planning mentioned on this blog, folks. Yet again I find myself thinking, "Wow, I never thought I'd have to think about this while wedding planning." But, alas, bugs are inevitable in a backyard in summertime. Hopefully because it's right on the edge of being fall it won't be too buggy, but gotta be prepared nonetheless. SO, do I spray people down with bug spray when they walk in? Do I give mosquito bracelets away as wedding favors? Bug repellent could give the food an extra zing, right? Gross. I hate bug spray. Who doesn't? I mean, there's really no avoiding it getting in your mouth. I know I've never put it on without tasting it.

So what's a bride to do? Well, apparently there's a spray you can put on the grass, which sounds awesome to me. I mean, as long as you don't roll around in or lick the grass, there should be no reason you'd taste it with your dinner. But I want to keep these suckers out as much as possible, so citronella candles and tiki torches will also be in attendance at my wedding. Some other options I've read about, that I may use, but may be useful to others planning backyard weddings or events, are:
  • Plants: Catnip (I personally hate cats AND bugs, so no catnip at my wedding!), lemon balm, rosemary, eucalyptus, and citronella grass
  • Insect Controlling Devices: This one and this one claim to cover up to an acre! The latter seems like it would make that zapping noise, though, but I'm no expert. And this just seems cool (reviews are mixed, though).
  • Bug Repellent Lotion/Wipes: Yes, they still smell like the spray, but at least you can control where the lotion goes, and perhaps include it in your OOT (Out of Town) guest bags for guests to apply before they get to the venue.
  • Timing: Some even recommend changing the time of your event. I don't know if you could ever really time it so that you won't get any bugs. Plus, who thinks about that when they're deciding on a time for their wedding?
Or you could just give everyone a bug racquet :)
-C
xxx

1 comment:

  1. I will pretend I didn't read about you hating my cats! Catnip doesn't smell so you should try it! I am actually growing some right now - I will have to let you know if it works. Well that is if my cats don't gobble it all first...

    Anyway, here is a link to some more natural mosquito repellents.

    http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/natural-insect-repellents-460608

    ReplyDelete