Thursday, November 18, 2010

Deliciously Awesome Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe

Not my pic, but kinda what mine looked like! via Google Image Search

Straying from the norm here. Recipes? On a bridal blog? Yup. Because I'm so in love with it, and no, this isn't even the first time I've made it! I just fall back in love with it every time I do... AND it's (kind of) green! There's broccoli in it :)

So without further ado...

Deliciously Awesome Broccoli Cheese Soup
(serves at least 4)

Ingredients:
4 cups water
1 - 16 oz. bag of frozen, or fresh, broccoli, chopped
1 cup diced onion
2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 medium potatoes)
2 chicken boullion cubes
2 - 10.75 oz. cans cream of chicken soup
1 lb. Velveeta cheese (or Walmart brand!*), cubed... I accidentally used 2 lbs. the first time I made it (because I mistakenly thought the large package of Velveeta was only 1 lb., when it's actually 2 lbs.) and have done so ever since, so if you want it to be cheesier and/or want to make a bigger batch, try using 2 lbs.!

Instructions:
Add water, broccoli, onion, potatoes, and boullion cubes to a large pot. Cook on medium - medium high heat until potatoes and broccoli are tender (about 20 minutes). Add cream of chicken soup and chopped up velveeta, stir every couple of minutes until cheese melts. Simmer for about 15 minutes, soup will thicken.
Yum.

Notes:
If you serve it right away, the potatoes will be REALLY hot. Like, my husband drinks/eats things that are scalding (while I put ice cubes in everything) and he even had to let the soup sit a while, so it may be best to put the soup in bowls and let it sit 5 minutes or maybe even longer (again, I wouldn't know, I put ice cubes in mine, lol). Also, while I love it fresh off the stove, for some reason I REALLY love it after it's been in the fridge for a day or so. One of my favorite things to bring to work for lunch! And sometimes even breakfast :) I was thinking last night after I made it that some chopped up carrots would be a good addition to it, too! I'll have to try that next time.

Sorry to say, but Brits? You may be out of luck in the Velveeta department. I might have to send you some! I'm not sure there's a Velveeta equivalent over there! If you'd like to scope out the grocery store for something similar, basically it is a processed cheese that comes in the form of a brick (but is very soft), virtually never expires (it doesn't have to be refrigerated until it's been opened, so can sit on the shelf for a very long time), and is an orange-yellow color. I found somewhere online that Dairylea triangles might be similar? But I have no idea what that is so can't vouch for that :)


-C
xxx

*Yes, there is a Walmart brand version of Velveeta, it's called "Melt and Dip Cheese" or something. It's right next to the Velveeta on the shelf...

No comments:

Post a Comment