Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dressing - You're Doing It Wrong


Apparently I've been dressing myself wrong for quite a while. I like colors, so I gravitate towards buying colored shirts a lot. Purple, teal, yellow, oh, right, and green (obviously). I tend to pair them with a neutral or black bottom. But recently I've been seeing people doing the color block thaaaang and I'm obsessed. I've been staring at my "closet" for a couple weeks now, trying to find a way to color block with what I've got.

What is color blocking, you ask? My definition (which I think is pretty accurate, but if not, I don't really care) is basically wearing a couple different non-patterned brightly colored clothing items (be it a shirt, skirt, shoes, purse), all together. Another helpful definition I found is: "...creating an outfit by putting areas or blocks of solid color next to each other. It can include monotone, bright colours, muted colors, contrasting and complimentary colors. Clothes, shoes, handbags and accessories can all feature color block designs or can make up different blocks of color to be put together for a color block outfit." (via this site) Sounds like a lot of color, and some people take it a bit too far, for sure, but sometimes it comes out super cute and successful, and those times make me want to color block.

Like this one, from one of my fave blogs everrr EatLiveRun:

Super bonus points for an awesome $2 thrift store find!

So basically I've decided I can't color block with what I've got because of a couple reasons:
A - My colored (non black, grey, or tan) skirts/pants are all patterned, except for one light yellow pencil skirt.
B - I can't quite think of any of my bright shirts that would go with said light yellow pencil skirt. If it were a real yellow or a mustard, yes, but it's not, so boo.
C - I have a ton of black, grey, and tan skirts/pants. Like, way too many.

I love color, but apparently I've just been doing it wrong! I need color on the bottom as well as the top. And need to stop buying so many patterned skirts. Duhhh.

I ordered a teal pencil skirt because I just couldn't wait to get to a thrift store/Marshall's this weekend. Fingers crossed!! Fingers also crossed for finding others at said thrift store/Marshall's this weekend, because I obviously need more than one option.

Hopefully I won't go too far, like this girl:


-C
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment