Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ship Me Up To Boston!


Something you might not know about me is how much I love Boston. I have this weird obsession with it. Would LOVE to live there. But, alas, it's too far from my mom, and other considerations. I don't know, maybe I'll convince her to move there someday... (we could go to lots of Red Sox games, Ma.)

Anyway, I already told you my husband planned a trip to Boston as my birthday present. Now I'm just going to tell you what we did. We were only there for, oh, a day and a half, but it was such a great trip!

We started off by getting up at 4am. OWWWWW. That's all I have to say about that. Got to the hotel, checked in, and got to the first stop - Harpoon Brewery! Yes, we were on a brewery tour at 10:30 in the morning. Don't judge. It was the best brewery tour I've ever been on! Ok, so it's only the 2nd, but still the best, and anywhere is going to be hard-pressed to beat it for a few reasons:

1. The first thing they do on the tour is fill up your glass for a tasting.
2. They let you taste beer directly out of the barrel - you'll never have fresher beer than that!
3. They're SUPER passionate about their beer, and it shows. They also give you some tidbits about their competitors, which was really interesting. Did you know that Sam Adams doesn't even brew beer in Boston?? But yet, they have a "brewery" tour... interesting. They actually brew it in Pennsylvania. Double interesting.
4. The "grain waste" that is created in the process is picked up by a local farmer to feed his cows. Talk about reduce, reuse, recycle!
5. They let you sample ALL 12 of their beers on tap, if you're quick! I think they give you a half hour to taste whatever you like. If you can taste 12 beers in that time, you can taste 12 beers in that time. I only got to 3, but that's because I didn't know there was a time limit (ok, again, don't judge, the tastings are like 1/4 of a pint glass).
6. And, FINALLY, Harpoon just finished brewing their very first PUMPKIN ALE. I LOOOOVE PUMPKIN ALE!! It's not even out in stores yet, and I got to taste it. I'm not joking, the aftertaste was like eating pumpkin pie. It was amaaaazing! Tim refused to try it because he "hates pumpkin ale". Probably like how he "hated pumpkin pie" before ever trying it and is now obsessed. Someday he'll try the ale... someday... and then I'll probably have to part with half the case of pumpkin beer I get every fall. Hm... maybe I shouldn't make him try it... good point.


Ok so clearly I just wanted to post about Boston so I could tell you all about the Harpoon tour.

We also...

Visited the Public Garden and Boston Common

Where I made Tim ride the swan boats with me.
He keeps telling me I owe him for that.
Notice how thrilled he is.

Got to go to Fenway!

... and see Big Papi!!

And they won! Thank god.

And, get this, we randomly got to meet up with some family of mine! Through the magic of facebook, I saw that they were at Fenway, and we got to meet up with them! I can't even remember the last time I saw them. It's been quite a long time, that's for sure! This is going to sound weird, but I can't figure out if they are cousins or aunt/uncle... um. My grandma's brother's son. So that makes him... either my uncle or my 2nd cousin (since it would be my father's 1st cousin)... well, either way, they're family, lol. Anyway, my cousin/uncle Mitch has a blog chronicling his MS over at EnjoyingTheRide.com if you're interested.

Found Mooo... (this one's for you Cass). Yes, it's a restaurant, and apparently those tubes are portable air conditioners. Weird.

And, AND I got to drink a Green Monstah IPA!
Why did they not have these at Fenway???

I'm pretty sure Tim's favorite part of the trip is that we found a Wagamama!

If you don't know, which you probably don't, Wagamama serves pan-Asian and Japanese food. There are, I swear, 50 of them in London alone, and the only 3 in the US are in Boston! We had sooo much clam chowder and other seafood this weekend that we were ready for something else and lo and behold, there's Wagamama in the Fanheuil Hall Marketplace.
He was thrilled! For real this time.

Boston, we miss you already. *tear*

-C
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment