Friday, December 9, 2011

I'm MIA, but others aren't...

Like MODG here: http://www.modgblog.com/2011/12/08/operation-wana-we-are-not-assholes/



Whether you love her "colorful" blog or not (I SUPER love it, but realize it might not be everyone's cup of tea), she's doing an amazing thing on her blog right now and so many people are being helped by it. Check it out, especially if you have or know kids who have outgrown their clothes and toys. You could help a kid have Christmas, who might not otherwise. Warning: the page may take a few minutes to load because there are over 500 comments on there now. Which is only annoying until you realize what that means and it restores your faith in humanity.

I'm helping. Or TRYING to, at least! All these other people keep beating me to helping people! Damn them. Ok, ok, yeah, it's great that there are so many people willing to help. I'm sure I'll get my turn.

All the stories on there make me want to cry and remind me of a story my mom tells about when I was little. I was a part of the Book It program (through school, I guess), and basically you just read a lot of books and every book you read you got a sticker or something and when you got enough stickers you got a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. I was a little book worm when I was little (I seriously rode my bike to the library every day) so this was right up my alley. I enjoyed reading and getting free pizza out of it, but I never realized that some nights that was the only way I had dinner. My mom told me that years later. I was young and oblivious to our financial situation at the time, so I was just like, "Pizza!!" I hope I shared. Anyway, now that I have the means to help, I'm going to.

Or at least TRY to.

-C
xxx

4 comments:

  1. That is really cool. It has inspired me to help in some way. I don't think I'll do it through that blog though, I don't quite trust people. I guess I'm jaded(Philly bums have ruined me). Have any other suggestions. Do you think Toys for Tots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, also, that blog is hilarious! I want to be a drunk/mom too! (not at the same time)

    ReplyDelete
  3. god do i love her blog. she is freaking hysterical. and lela says we "talk" aka "blog" alike. minus all the bodily functions.

    i know what you mean about being hesitant and not trusting people. i decided i was going to give something i had or buy something specific. i'm the same way with homeless people - i won't give you money, but i'll buy you food. that way i actually feel like i'm helping instead of supporting a crack habit. so i connected with someone through the blog and i'm going to send her son a toy from amazon.

    how do you want to give? i donate to st. jude's and also boys town. if you want to buy, there's toys for tots and my firm works with Philadelphia Reads' book drive http://www.philareads.org/index.html. there are drop offs for both at my building if you can get it to me before next friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a cool idea! Nice

    http://bit.ly/2vhB101

    ReplyDelete